In this episode, ASCI Lounge host Monique Fenech interviews Tony Monaghan, expert in negotiations across Asia Pacific and the Lead at Skillbiz who follows the 80/20 rule set out by Harvard University when it comes to successful negotiations. 80% are planned step by step, with political, gender, social biases and emotions at play. Find out how you can navigate a successful negotiation in your supply chain by taking Tony's short course.
Tony's short online course for ASCI Members goes for 20 weeks with two hourly weekly check ins:
- The role of relationship in creating value
- Plan what happens inside and outside 'the room'
- Include stakeholders (internal/external-sponsors/clients)
- Predicting the concessions they might want, and that you want.
- Reading people - how personal objectives influence corporate objectives
- Focus: managing your communication to engage both your needs and theirs
- Asking great questions
- Focus: identify where your interests overlap
- Strategically positioning your opening moves
- Emotions and how people make decisions
- Guidelines for how to handle the trading of concessions
- F2F challenges – dealing with resistance, exploring deeper needs, objections
- The role of emotions in decision-making
- How to think about difficult people - fully understanding your role in 'helping' your other party
- Getting from start to finish in structured stages
- Case study
Professionalism: adopting standards that promote a culture of success and using a diverse skillset.
Summary of program: Integrating all concepts with practice, formal case study (generic or in-house design), applying preparation model to a business challenge